Immune System Center
See Below for:
Wellness Plan |
Pharmacist Recommendations |
Related Health Concerns | Additional Information
General Health Information
The immune system is one of the most complex systems in the body. It is composed of the lymph nodes, tonsils, spleen, and thymus?our lymphatic vessels and organs. It also includes white blood cells, for example lymphocytes, monocytes, and basophils; and other specialized cells, such as macrophages, and mast cells. The immune system's primary function is to protect the body against infections and cancers, and to regulate the healing process. It does this by recognizing the difference between "self" and "not self."
Our immune system is our defense system against outside invaders by recognizing that which is "not self." Thus, it helps us to maintain our own integrity and health. A weakened immune system results in colds, flu, cancer, chronic infections, fatigue, viral infections, yeast infections, chronic diarrhea, and poor wound healing.
Sometimes our immune system is too strong or directed at the wrong target?ourselves. When that happens, we develop "autoimmune" disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, and possibly diabetes, asthma, and allergies. Autoimmune disorders occur when our immune system cannot tell the difference between "self" and "not self."
Proper immune system function requires proper nutrition and the avoidance of toxins and stressors. Certain nutrients, such as vitamin E and zinc, seem to have immune stimulating properties, whereas some nutritional deficiencies are a primary cause of a depressed immune system. Stress also reduces our immune system's ability to function properly. Adaptogenic herbs such as ginseng and andrographis can then be helpful. Exposure to toxins, pollutants, and artificial chemicals are all hard on our immune systems, so antioxidants are a good idea. We can ensure a healthy immune system by following all of the elements of a healthy lifestyle. Our immune system helps us to maintain good health when we give it the right nutrients and the right environment.
- Regular exercise
- Healthy diet, emphasizing fresh fruits and vegetables
- Stress management
- Avoid environmental toxins
- Pharmacist’s Supplement Recommendations:
- Vitamins and Minerals - particularly vitamins A, C, and E, zinc
- Antioxidants - especially vitamin E, OPC’s (grape seed extract)
- Essential Fatty Acids - omega-3 (DHA, EPA)
- Herbs and Phytonutrients - echinacea, astragalus, ginseng, mushroom extracts (maitake, shiitake, reishi), andrographis
These products are recommended by licensed pharmacists who have specialized in natural medicines and dietary supplements. For maximum benefit from these recommendations, be sure to read the Wellness Center Guidelines.
||Immune Health Support $30.80
Supporting a healthy immune system begins with a solid foundation of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients which, on a daily basis, support our immune systems throughout our life. But when we need added support under stressful conditions, additional supplementation is helpful. Recommended for intermittent use, Immune Health Support contains high potencies of numerous immune-boosting herbs and nutrients such as:
- Astragalus and Korean Ginseng - Chinese herbs well known to stimulate the immune system by boosting key immune cells
- Ligustrum and Echinacea - thought to stimulate immune cell activity of interferon
- Maitake, Shiitake, and Reishi - adaptogenic mushroom extracts which contain beta-D-glucans, thought to stimulate white blood cell acitivity
- Vitamins A, C, B-12, Folic Acid, and Pantothenic Acid - key nutrients in immune system function and cell formation
||Essentials Performance $36.00
A well-designed, high quality vitamin and mineral supplement insures that our immune system is supplied with all of the key nutrients that are essential for maintaining our good health. Essential Performance Formula provides the immune system organs and defense cells with all of the vitamins and minerals necessary for their proper function and good health.
||Omega Max $18.50
Essential fatty acids are the “good fats” that are essential for our good health. They are known as “essential” because we need them daily, and our body itself cannot make them by itself. Essential fatty acids must be taken in daily from outside sources, such as foods or supplements. They are necessary for the production of new cells, and for many chemical processes in the body.
||AntiOxidant Essentials $30.30
Antioxidants help protect the body from the formation of damaging free radicals. Antioxidants are free radical scavengers that neutralize these free radicals, thus helping to correct the oxidative imbalances associated with a depressed immune system. They are especially important for anyone with excessive stress which is also known to depress the immune system.
Additional Products for Immune System
Wellness Centers Related to Immune System
Additional Information on Immune System
- The Anatomy of the Immune System - publications of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease and the National Cancer Institute
- Mounting and Immune - publications of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease and the National Cancer Institute
- The Immune System - from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease